Hosted by The Space Between

Sunday, October 08, 2017

The Sunday Post #9



Sunday Post is a weekly meme hosted  @ Caffeinated Book Reviewer. It’s a chance to share news~ A post to recap the past week on your blog and showcase books and things we have received. Share news about what is coming up on our blog for the week ahead. See rules here: Sunday Post Meme


It's been almost 3 months since I did a Sunday Post!  Things have happened!

We took the last full week of July off as vacation, and then I broke my arm badly enough to need surgery the day before I was supposed to go back to work. Go me! I ended up with another month and a half off from work, which was weird, but nice, but also not because I was one-armed for quite a bit of it.  I'm mostly mended now and back to work, and able to write which was one of my big fears.  I broke my arm, but at the wrist, and you don't realize how many things take that twisting and bending ability until you can't do any of them suddenly!  But I'm just about back to full power! ;)

While I was off, we went to see Pentatonix, which was a fantastic show, but also sad since Avi is leaving and I'm not sure what they will do next.  I'm so glad I got to see them when it was still the 5 of them as I've grown to love them. Here is their cover of Imagine, so beautiful!  There was a bright meteor that flew overhead as they were singing this one!


I also went to an author talk! Douglas Preston, in addition to being a thriller writer, did some actual adventuring and wrote a non-fiction book about it called The Lost City of the Monkey God.  Being an archaeology fan I'm very interested to get into that one!  It sounded quite hair-raising!




Let me see, this is going to cover a lot of weeks since the last time!

Reviews:

The Bedlam Stacks by Natasha Pulley - I received this from Netgalley.  It's a historical, magical realism, adventure in darkest Peru!

Eliza and Her Monsters by Francesca Zappia - I received this one through Owl Crate and zipped through it, a great read about online web creation and fandom compared to real life.

The Epic Crush of Genie Lo by F. C. Yee - I received this through Netgalley and while I wasn't super bonded to the main character Genie, it was an interesting and exciting storyline that incorporated some Chinese Mythology that I'm interested in pursuing at some point.

Odd & True by Cat Winters - Another Netgalley read, I was very drawn in to a previous book by Cat Winters, In the Shadow of Blackbirds, so was excited to give this a try.  It's a great story that is somewhat supernatural, but really focuses on the relationship between the sisters.

A Strange Scottish Shore by Juliana Gray - From Netgalley, this is a time travel romance/mystery that I initially thought was a cozy mystery but is being billed as romance.  It was the second in the series, but it stands alone okay, and even makes me interested to read the first one.

House of Ash by Hope Cook - From Netgalley, a haunted/possessed house story, just in time for October!

A Study in Scarlet Women by Sherry Thomas - This was my August TBR List Meme pick that I didn't get through until the end of September!  It was great, I enjoyed the twist on Sherlock Holmes and her Watson is a great character as well!

Features (otherwise known as ALL THE VOTING!):

TBR List Meme: My theme this month is Black Cat Covers, please vote on which I should read for October!  My TBR List October Poll
 
And even more polls!
I've started a poll feature to last from now until the end of the year where you will help me pick what my best reads were!  Each week I will have a poll that lists the books I read in a particular month for you to vote what my best read that month was.  At the end of the year, I will run those 12 in a poll against each other, and when we have a winner I will host a giveaway for that book!

Here is January, which I posted last Sunday (which will close tonight!):  January Best Read Poll

Here is February, which I have just posted today and it will stay open through next Sunday:  February Best Read Poll



I don't really have a plan at the moment, other than announcing the TBR List Meme choice for October and posting the March Best Read poll next Sunday.


So many new books have come into the house!

I borrowed a couple more ARC copies from the library book club meet up:


I bought some audiobooks with my monthly credits from Audible:


I received these from a swap exchange:


I received these through subscription boxes (Uppercase, Owlcrate and Pagehabit):


Physical books I bought:


And finally, some Kindle deals and freebies (which may or may not still be freebies or on sale):






3 comments:

  1. OUCH! I am glad you are on the mend. I broke my finger once and never realized how much that one finger is used everyday. I am glad you are almost back to full power! :)
    I like Pentatonix, 3 of them was on the series Bones they were very good on it. I was sad to hear Avi left too but I guess he had other plans and I think I read they are looking for replace him.
    WOW all those books! I need to check some of those out.

    I hope you have a great week, Shaunesay! Happy Reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous12:30 PM

    I'm glad that your arm is healing. All those books! There are so many amazing ones, I don't even know where to start. Have a great week, and happy reading.

    Jenea's Book Obsession's Sunday Post

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Lots of great books you got there! I'm glad your arm is doing better. It must have been terrible to have a broken arm!

    Here’s my Sunday Post!

    Ronyell @ Rabbit Ears Book Blog and join in this week’s Book Photo Sundays!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...